Sunday, August 12, 2012

2012 Perseids Observing Report

The Perseid meteor shower is best observed from a dark location.... The darker the better.  Less light mean more dim meteors will be visible.  This year I had a few fun things already planned for the weekend so I was not able to head too far out of the light pollution of Los Angeles to observe them, but I did make time to head to a more local observing spot in the Malibu Hills that I have tried a few times.  It takes about an hour from my apartment, it’s somewhat away from the worst of the sky-glow, it’s sort of shielded by the hills, and it has a bit of elevation.  In general, it’s not a bad place to do some observing!  On a good night, the milky-way is weakly visible, and if you are really lucky there will be a low marine layer, above the LA basin, but below the observing location you pick which will block some or most of the local light pollution.  

The Perseids were still a day or so away from peak activity, but as the peak falls between Monday and Tuesday this year, Saturday night was the best chance my girlfriend and I had.  We grabbed a blanket for the hood of the car, binoculars, some warm clothes and headed out.  When we arrived around 11:30 the sky seemed promisingly dark, but most of the southern half, and the zenith were covered with clouds.  There was a nice opening to the north east towards the radiant of the shower, so I angled the car that way, setup the blanket on the hood and we started watching.  

Not more than five minutes after we settled in there was a bright meteor which zipped from Cassiopeia past the rapidly fading clouds covering Cygnis.  It was brilliant and left a visible trail for a second or so.  A minute or so later we spotted a dimmer smaller line heading more southerly, then another quickly followed.  Seeing three meteors in short order really reinforced the perception of them radiating from a single point.  The sky continued to clear and within 30 minutes the clouds were all but gone from the sky, revealing a very, very dim Milky Way.  

As we continued to count meteors and enjoy the warm weather, I scanned around Cygnis a bit with the binoculars and spent a minute or two enjoying one of my favorite constellation, Delphinus.  I could just squeeze the main body into the field of my binoculars and admire the bright members against a background of dimmer stars.  My binoculars are in pretty bad shape, and I did not want to miss many of the meteors so I limited my exploration to quick glimpses, but it was nice to break up the all sky watching with a bit of magnified viewing.  

Around 12:30 we decided to call it a night as we had an hour drive back home and had already had a long day.  In the roughly 50 minutes we were observing we saw almost two dozen meteors, and three really wonderful ones which left a lasting trail.  I am guessing we missed several as we poured hot chocolate, and more that were obscured by clouds.  Even if our count was all inclusive, that is still a good rate, almost a meteor every two minutes.  

I was initially disappointed that my plans did not allow me a great deal of time to travel to a darker sight, or to observe longer.  In all honesty, I almost did not gather the energy and will to go out and watch the shower.  As I was heading home I was very glad I did and I was reminded again that even a short time, under less than ideal conditions, is better than not observing at all.  Sure, I wish that I could stroll out to my backyard and have an open, dark sky waiting for me, but I don’t and this year I’m going to try to make the most of the opportunities I do have.

No comments:

Post a Comment